Tuesday 30 December 2014

Budapest

Work took me to Budapest for four days at the end of November.  Unfortunately our work and meeting schedule didn't allow much down time to explore the city so we were limited to a couple of hours during daylight on day one and two hours on our final evening.  Below is a photo of a bar opposite our restaurant where we ate on our first night since we were keen to experience local life.  People lovely and friendly, food less so.  (Although the hotel had the best fresh muesli I've tasted.)
I'd been warned I wouldn't be able to pronounce the street names.  True.
There were some very elegant if tired looking buildings. 
We made it to the river.  This is probably where you see Budapest at its best but the weather wasn't kind to us and the whole of our visit was conducted under grey, clammy skies.
I love a tram, me!  
And here are some heroic sculptures...
Our big adventure was taking the underground to visit a market on the other side of the city.  It took us 10 mins to work out how to buy a ticket and the escalators are the steepest, fastest and deepest I've experienced.  The photo below was taken when we were half way down.  

We visited a market with colourful displays of paprika, garlic and vegetables...
...and salami.  (I panic bought a salami and now have no idea what to do with it.)
We tried the local tipple.  Don't try this at home.  Really.
Almost before we knew it, we were back at the airport.  I don't feel qualified to say much about the city because I'm pretty sure it would be different if you were there on holiday in summer with time to wander around and enjoy it.  So mostly I think I should just share the photos.  
On the flight home I did a little doodle.  So Hungary did leave an impression on me, if only a vague one.

No comments:

Post a Comment