Wednesday, 24 February 2016

Finding a style

I've been playing with a variety of techniques, stamps and stencils as I try and work out my own style. I'm getting closer. I've worked out that I don't get on well with traditional watercolours, paints, sentiment stamps, very messy grunge, industrial styles, brayers or orange.
I do like using distress markers for controlled water colour effects ie with a water pen and spritzing with them with a spray tool. I like twirly, curvy, ornate stencils, limited grunge, printing or writing quotes, Kraft cards and book pages, cool colours such as greens, blues, greys with a hint of warmth from rose or lavender and slightly wacky stamps. So I wouldn't be a fan of stamps featuring cute children or animals although a quick look online will show how popular those stamps are, it's just not for me. If this all sounds a bit prescriptive it probably is, in a way that's what I wanted. I needed to work out my preferences.
I think I've found a foundation I can work on.
Years ago I had a fairy stamp from Lavinia stamps but as I'm also not a fairy person, it was rarely used and then given away. But I remembered the website and revisited it again recently and bought two stamps which I absolutely love. Above is their Fairy Thistles stamp. I stamped this onto a scrap piece of card and cut out a mask. Then I stamped it onto clean card using an oil based versa mark grey ink. I put the mask over the top and spritzed with distress markers ripe persimmon, picked raspberry and worn lipstick. What you can't see in the pic is that once I removed the mask I coloured in those thistle heads using a clear wink of stella glitter pen. Shame you can't see because it gives the whole card a lift! The edges were smudged with worn lipstick ink and the whole thing was mounted onto orange backing card. I ran it through a printer to add the sentiment. Finished, but it's a bit plain. Lesson learned.
For card 2, I added a stencil background round the edges and corners. It's all the same as the first card except I used distress markers old paper, pumice and worn lipstick for both the spritzed background and the stencil. I plan to work on this a bit more and see how else I can add layers or texture to make it a bit more interesting. It's nearly there but not quite!

No comments:

Post a Comment