Sunday, 21 February 2016

Searching for a creative voice - part 3

The experiments have continued, I've used techniques which are new to me and treid to get greater use out of my crafting stash. Some things have been more succesful than others but instead of dismissing these, I've tried to work out exactly what didn't work.
Grey and pink is a colour combination i wanted to try and they suggested something architectural. This is the background created using a crafters workshop stencil and some puffs of the 'old paper' distress marker using a distress sprayer. To be honest, I liked this so much I didn't want to add anything else.
I chose a rubber stamp from this collection:
I stamped onto a separate piece of card stock, added some words on a piece of kraft card and stuck it in place.

If I were to do this again I'd mute the background more, perhaps with a layer of gesso over the top. I think this would allow the stamped image to stand out more, I'd also use a black ink pad for the architectural image rather then the grey. What I like is the accidental effect of shadow created by the kraft card on the left of the image, so I'd cut the kraft to the same length as the image to enhance that.
Next I wanted to try and add some texture to a page. I've had these jars of ultra thick embossing powders for years and I don't think the colour selection is that bad and the stencils gave a lovely background but I definitely chose the wrong stamps for this project!
As you can see this page is a bit of a mess.
Note to self - don't use ultra thick embossing powders on detailed images, dummy!
Having learned that lesson, this morning I woke up with a page in my mind and got it finished quite quickly. First I covered the page in a layer of matte mod podge, then added torn strips of printed tissue paper before adding another mod podge layer to seal it all. it was coloured with a pink and peachy gelatos which I rubbed in with a wet wipe so it's quite subtle. I had a bit of fun too with some crackle glaze I found at the back of a drawer.
I drew and cut out a heart shape from deep red card and scuffed it up by scraping at the edges and cutting out seqctions. The kraft paper was used again to cut very thin strips to join the heart sections together. Some stamped letters were cut out and scruffed up again before being added in the bottom corner. Done! And this page, I like :)
Supplies used were:

No comments:

Post a Comment