Wednesday 21 March 2012

Going Raw

It's been creatively quiet in the Week Day Home as this week work has taken me to Yorkshire and what a beautiful Spring Equinox morning was waiting when I opened my hotel room curtains....ahhhh.  I visit this area quite often but never have time to explore and appreciate it properly.  It's on my list to Places to Do.

The closest I have come to being creative has been in the kitchen.  I'm interested in how a fresh, mostly vegan uncooked diet can improve health and have been gradually adding more uncooked meals to my normal mostly vegetarian diet.  The theory is that when you heat food above 40 degrees the digestive enzymes are destroyed meaning we lose the benefits and make it more taxing for our bodies to digest.  But woman can't exist on salad alone (well this woman can't) so I'm trying all sorts of things.  Including kelp noodles.  Kelp is a type of seaweed and packed with nutrients which is what makes these so good.  They're just like ordinary noodles but with a neutral taste so you can schoosh them up with all kinds of sauces or pesto's.
The Coconut Thai sauce I made for my noodles was super quick and even including time for cutting up some cucumbers, carrots and lettuce for a side salad took 5 mins max.
Creamy Coconut Sauce 


1 cup coconut milk*
1/2 cup almond butter
4-5 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
4 teaspoons white miso
1 small clove garlic
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2-1 teaspoon tamari
1 drop stevia
Cayenne pepper, to taste

*Blend 1/3 cup shredded coconut with 1 cup water in a blender until smooth and then strain through a nut milk bag or piece of muslin for a smooth milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment