Sunday 10 January 2016

Soothing a cold

Colds aren't tragic and usually you just push through but every now and again one comes along which moves in, steals your mojo and leaves you feeling flat. I'm in day 14 of something which started as a head cold, moved south to give me a throat lined with sandpaper, a tight chest and wretching cough and has now gone north again to bung up my sinuses and block my ears. I'm fed up. Over the counter medicines have had no effect and I've fallen back on a recommendation from an Indian friend who told me when he was ill his mum gave him a cup of warm milk with a teaspoon of honey and half a teaspoon turmeric powder. The story is that warm milk acts as a carrier for the honey which soothes your throat and the turmeric has antibacterial properties which reduce inflammation. Indian mamas clearly know something because It's the most comforting thing I've taken so far.
Other home made remedies have included lemon and ginger in hot water and pear, kale and ginger smoothies to counter balance the illness fuelled obsession with toast, my go-to lazy, comfort food. If you find yourself in the same fog of infection, try the turmeric. You're welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment